2011 Winners and their Suppliers
The following 37 products have been named winners in the 2011 Medical Design Excellence Awards competition. Manufacturing companies were presented with either gold or silver awards at the MDEA Winners ceremony held in June during the Medical Design & Manufacturing East 2011 Conference and Exposition, June 7 –9, 2011, in New York City. Suppliers honored in connection with these winning products have earned the exclusive right to use the designation "Supplier to a 2011 MDEA Winner."
Below is a complete list of all the 2011 MDEA-winning products which the 2011 MDEA Jury felt were compelling and innovative.MDEA Past Winning Product Search Tool
Use the "Award Winners" nav links on the left or the search tool below to search for past winners..
Critical-Care and Emergency Medicine Products
- EV1000 clinical patient monitoring platform, manufactured and submitted by Edwards Lifesciences LLC (Irvine, CA). The EV1000 is a patient monitoring platform that is intended to show clinicians the physiologic status of their patients in critical care settings such as the OR and the ICU. Supply and design credit to Patton Design (Irvine, CA), and Sparton Medical Systems (Strongsville, OH).
- Lifeline View automated external defibrillator, manufactured and submitted by Defibtech LLC (Guilford, CT). The Lifeline View AED is the first and only portable defibrillator with a full-motion, full-color video display. The device is specifically designed to make it easy for anyone to effectively respond to a sudden cardiac arrest emergency.
- Mindray V Series Patient Monitoring System, manufactured by Mindray (Mahwah, NJ). Entry submitted by Continuum (West Newton, MA). The V Series patient monitoring system is a scalable platform that focuses on the clarity and continuity of data at a single point of care. The product is the result of research focused on identifying the unique challenges of high acuity environments. Supply and design credit to Continuum (West Newton, MA).
Dental Instruments, Equipment, and Supplies
- AcceleDent Orthodontic System, manufactured by OrthoAccel (Houston, TX). Entry submitted by Devicix LLC (Eden Prairie, MN). The AcceleDent System is an orthodontic device that significantly reduces the time required for patients to wear braces or aligners by applying gentle microvibrations to the teeth. Supply and design credit to Devicix LLC (Eden Prairie, MN), Metaphase Design Group Inc. (St. Louis, MO), and Virtex Assembly Services Inc. (Austin, TX).
- Orascoptic Freedom cordless LED headlamp for dentists and hygienists, manufactured and submitted by Sybron Middleton (Middleton, WI). The Orascoptic Freedom LED headlamp provides enhanced visibility in combination with loupes. The light-weight unit has rechargeable battery pods powering varied lighting. It is designed with a mount system fitting any TTL loupe model. Supply and design credit to Bjorksten | bit 7 (Madison, WI).
- Propoint obturation point for use in root canal therapy, manufactured and submitted by DRFP Ltd. (Sheffield, South Yorkshire, United Kingdom). Propoint is an obturation point for use in root canal therapy. It expands upon hydration in the root canal providing a seal to reduce the risk of infection. It enables a quick and easy procedure for the dentist and reduced pain for the patient. Supply and design credit to University of Bradford, School of Engineering, Design and Technology (Bradford, West Yorkshire, United Kingdom), and Microsystems UK (Warrington, United Kingdom).
General Hospital Devices and Therapeutic Products
- Compass interchangeable modular system, manufactured and submitted by Herman Miller Healthcare (Zeeland, MI). Designed to adapt to the ever-changing healthcare environment, Compass is a modular system of interchangeable components that can be used to create applications for patient rooms, caregiver work areas, and other clinical spaces. Supply and design credit to Continuum (West Newton, MA).
- Conveen Active urine collecting bag, manufactured and submitted by Coloplast A/S (Humlebaek, Denmark). The Conveen Active is a urine collection bag with a capacity of 250 ml. It can be used in both hospital and private settings for men with low to moderate levels of incontinence. Supply and design credit to Harrit & Sørensen (Holte, Denmark).
- Encircle Compression Therapy device, manufactured by The Merino Co. (TMC Apparel) (Christchurch, New Zealand). Entry submitted by Locus Research Ltd. (Mt. Maunganui, Tauranga, New Zealand). Encircle is a two-layer natural merino therapy clinically proven to help in safely preventing venous insufficiencies, thrombosis, embolisms and ulceration. Encircle is easy to specify, apply, and manage during use, significantly reducing the cost of care. Supply and design credit to Locus Research Ltd. (Mt. Maunganui, Tauranga, New Zealand), Agresearch Textiles Group (Christchurch, New Zealand), and Medical Research Institute of New Zealand (MRINZ) (Newtown, Wellington, New Zealand).
- Pegasus Safety Closed IV Catheter System, manufactured by Becton, Dickinson and Co. (Sandy, UT). Entry submitted by Becton Dickinson Medical Products Pte. Ltd. (Singapore). The Pegasus Safety Closed IV Catheter System is designed for the traditional insertion technique of Chinese nurses. It fulfills the clinician’s need to minimize needlestick injuries and reduce infection risks.
- Pronto-7 handheld noninvasive hemoglobin spot-check testing device, manufactured and submitted by Masimo (Irvine, CA). Masimo’s Pronto-7 is a handheld device designed for quick, noninvasive, spot-check testing of hemoglobin, SpO2, pulse rate, and perfusion index. Features include wireless and Bluetooth capabilities, as well as a touch screen. Supply and design credit to Masimo Labs (Irvine, CA).
- Radiant Heat Warmer (RHW) 3000 series, manufactured by Zeal Medical Pvt. Ltd. (Mumbai, Maharashtra, India). Entry submitted by NEODES (PUNE, India). RHW3000 is an open-bed radiant heat warmer for premature babies. A unique reflector design ensures uniform heating to the baby and not to the caretaker. RHW3000 is 50 less expensive than any other competing product in the market. Supply and design credit to NEODES (PUNE, India).
- VeinViewer Vision vascular imaging device, manufactured and submitted by Christie Medical Holdings (Memphis, TN). The VeinViewer Vision imaging device uses near-infrared light and other patented technologies to project a real-time digital image of patient vasculature directly onto the surface of the skin. Supply and design credit to WILD (Volkermarkt, Austria), Integrated Design Systems (IDS) (Great Neck, NY), and HiTek Services Inc. (Owens Cross Roads, AL).
Implant and Tissue-Replacement Products
- Cranial Loop nonmetallic, cranial fixation device for postcraniotomy bone flap fixation, manufactured and submitted by Neos Surgery S.L. (Barcelona-San Sebastián, Spain). The Cranial Loop is a nonmetallic, high-strength cranial fixation device for postcraniotomy bone flap fixation. Based on PEEK-Optima material, it is designed to provide benefits beyond the range of metallic biomaterials. Supply and design credit to Hospital de la Santa Creu i de Sant Pau (Barcelona, Spain), Invibio Biomaterial Solutions (Thornton Cleveleys, Lancashire, United Kingdom), Fundació Privada ASCAMM (Cerdanyola del Vallès, Spain), and Fundació Inasmet-Tecnalia (Donostia-San Sebastián, Spain).
- JuggerKnot Soft Suture Anchor, manufactured and submitted by Biomet Sports Medicine (Warsaw, IN). The JuggerKnot is used for reattaching soft tissue to bone and soft tissue repair during arthroscopic surgery. Sports medicine surgeons can use the suture to tie tissues to bone, restoring function to the patient and mitigating associated pain. Supply and design credit to PMC Smart Solutions (Shelbyville, IN).
- MitraClip catheter-based mitral valve repair system, manufactured by Abbott Vascular (Menlo Park, CA). Entry submitted by Nicole Osmer Healthcare Communications (Menlo Park, CA). The MitraClip system offers a less-invasive therapy for mitral regurgitation, a debilitating disease that can lead to heart failure and death. Randomized trial results show excellent safety, patient benefits, and improved quality of life. Supply and design credit to El Camino Hospital (Mountain View, CA).
- Triangular Prostatic Stent (TPS), manufactured and submitted by Allium Medical Solutions Ltd. (Caesarea Industrial Park, Israel). The prostatic stent is indicated for the management of posterior urethral occlusions. With its triangular shape, it matches the prostatic urethral lumen. Due to its patented delivery system, it can be used in ambulatory setting.
In Vitro Diagnostic Products and Systems
- cobas b 123 point-of-care blood gas analyzer system, manufactured and submitted by Roche Diagnostics GmbH. (Graz, Austria). The cobas b 123 POC system is a hospital point-of-care and laboratory blood gas analyzer that measures 17 critical-care parameters including total bilirubin and lactate. The device features a decoupled sensor that uses a patented thick film technology.
- Integrated Cycler real-time polymerase chain reaction (PCR) thermocycler, manufactured and submitted by 3M (St. Paul, MN) and Focus Diagnostics Inc. (Cypress, CA). The Integrated Cycler is designed to run real-time PCR for qualitative detection and multi-analyte detection. It is used in conjunction with Focus Diagnostics Simplexa molecular chemistries. Supply and design credit to WynEdge (Minnetonka, MN), and Benchmark Electronics Inc. (Winona, MN)
- Leica BOND-III immunohistochemistry (IHC) and in-situ hybridization (ISH) staining system, manufactured by Leica Biosystems Melbourne Pty. Ltd. (Melbourne, Victoria, Australia). Entry submitted by Invetech (Melbourne, Victoria, Australia). Leica BOND-III is an automated staining platform that assists in the diagnostic pathway of various cancers and infectious diseases. Samples are processed rapidly to enable a diagnosis to be given to the patient as quickly as possible. Supply and design credit to Invetech (Melbourne, Victoria, Australia).
- MAGPIX versatile multiplexing bioassay platform, manufactured and submitted by Luminex Corp. (Austin, TX). MAGPIX is a compact, multiplex analyzer for clinical and research labs that can quickly, accurately, and reproducibly detect and measure up to 50 different proteins or nucleic acids simultaneously in a variety of biological sample matrices.
Medical Product Packaging, Graphic Instructions, and Labeling Systems
Over-The-Counter and Self-Care Products
- Buzzy and Bee-Stractors needle pain relief system, manufactured and submitted by MMJ Labs LLC (Atlanta, GA). Buzzy combines a unique ice pack and reusable vibrating bee-shaped device to numb sharp pain. When pressed proximal to a painful procedure, Buzzy uses gate theory and descending inhibition to distract and physiologically block pain. Supply and design credit to Formation Design Group Inc. (Atlanta, GA).
- MalleoLoc ankle orthosis, manufactured by Bauerfeind AG (Zeulenroda-Triebes, Germany). Entry submitted by Bauerfeind USA Inc. (Marietta, GA). The MalleoLoc is a semi-rigid ankle orthosis designed to protect the ankle following injury in conservative or postoperative situations. The device can also be used prophylactically during athletic activities. Supply and design credit to Bauerfeind Innovation Center (Zeulenroda-Triebes, Germany).
- SpeediCath Compact Male intermittent catheter, manufactured and submitted by Coloplast A/S (Humlebaek, Denmark). SpeediCath Compact Male is an intermittent catheter for people who need to empty their bladder via a catheter. Sleek, compact, and PVC/phthalate-free, it\\\\\\\'s less than half the size of standard catheters, making it easy to store, carry, use, and dispose of.
Radiological and Electromechanical Devices
- Avedro Vedera KXS Vision Correction Device, manufactured by Avedro (Waltham, MA). Entry submitted by Continuum (West Newton, MA). The Avedro Vedera KXS is a microwave energy device that offers a non-incisional, noninvasive, refractive correction procedure for reshaping the cornea for the treatment of kerataconus and myopia. Supply and design credit to Continuum (West Newton, MA), and Benchmark Electronics (Blanchardstown, Dublin, Ireland).
- LipiView Ocular Surface Interferometer, manufactured by TearScience (Morrisville, NC). Entry submitted by PR Strategies (Raleigh, NC). LipiView is used to capture, archive, manipulate, and store digital images of specular (interferometric) observations of an adult’s natural tear film. Supply credit to HLB (Chicago, IL), Design Net (Smithfield, RI), and Optimum Technologies (Southbridge, MA).
- Selenia Dimensions tomosynthesis (3D) system, manufactured by Hologic Inc. (Bedford, MA). Entry submitted by Farm Design Inc. (Hollis, NH). The Selenia Dimensions system generates digital mammographic images that can be used for screening and diagnosis of breast cancer. The Selenia Dimensions system is intended for use in the same clinical applications as systems for screening mammograms. Supply and design credit to Farm Design Inc. (Hollis, NH).
Rehabilitation and Assistive-Technology Products
- 625 Barrier-Free Examination table, manufactured by Midmark Corp. (Versailles, OH). Entry submitted by Design Central Inc. (Columbus, OH). The 625 Barrier-Free Examination table accommodates the increased demand for efficient care and changing patient demographics. An accessible exam table increases patient comfort, reduces anxiety, and helps physicians conduct more-accurate exams. Supply and design credit to Design Central Inc. (Columbus, OH).
- Inogen One G2 portable oxygen concentrator, manufactured and submitted by Inogen Inc. (Goleta, CA). The Inogen One redefines oxygen therapy by replacing large stationary concentrators and impractical oxygen tank deliveries with a dynamic portable oxygen concentrator that is lighter and more efficient than its competition.
- Philips Lifeline Medical Alert Service with AutoAlert Option medical monitoring system, manufactured by Philips Design (Andover, MA). Entry submitted by Radius Product Development (Clinton, MA). The AutoAlert pendant is a wearable help button designed to help seniors maintain independence. The monitoring system detects falls, automatically calling for help if the wearer is unable to push the button due to disorientation or unconsciousness. Supply and design credit to Radius Product Development (Clinton, MA).
Surgical Equipment, Instruments, and Supplies
- DISTALOCK Intramedullary (IM) Nail and Drill System, manufactured by DGIMED Ortho Inc. (Minnetonka, MN). Entry submitted by Devicix LLC (Eden Prairie, MN). The DISTALOCK drill system allows orthopedic surgeons to drill pilot holes from the inside of the bone, out, using no x-rays. These pilot holes accurately guide placement of screws to lock in place an intramedullary nail used to fix fractured femurs. Supply and design credit to Devicix LLC (Eden Prairie, MN), Vitaldyne (Waverly, MN), Orthopaedic International Inc. (Cabuyao, Laguna, Philippines), and Orthopaedic Biomechanics Lab (Minneapolis, MN).
- iO-Flex surgical system, manufactured and submitted by Baxano Inc. (San Jose, CA). The iO-Flex System is an advanced surgical technology for central, lateral recess, and foraminal lumbar stenosis. The over-the-wire approach allows surgeons to address targeted impinging tissue while preserving facet joint integrity. Supply and design credit to IDEO (Palo Alto, CA),
- PleuraFlow active tube clearance system, manufactured and submitted by Xeridiem Medical Devices (formerly MRI Medical) (Tucson, AZ). The PleuraFlow clearance system prevents chest tube clogging in post-thoracic surgery. It consists of a magnetically driven guidewire that is advanced into the PleuraFlow Chest Tube to remove any tube obstructions or clogging. Supply and design credit to Clear Catheter Systems (Bend, OR), and Carbon Design Group (Seattle, WA).
- Talon grasping device, manufactured and submitted by US Endoscopy (Mentor, OH). The Talon grasping device is specifically designed to provide the firm hold required for challenging upper endoscopic food bolus and foreign body retrieval cases. The graspers were optimized based on raptor talons using biomimicry principles.
- The Mill powered surgical tool to aid in the preparation of bone graft, manufactured by Stryker Instruments (Kalamazoo, MI). Entry submitted by M3 Design Inc. (Round Rock, TX). The Mill quickly morselizes harvested bone into consistently sized grafts to aid in bone growth and fusion. The unique single-pass cutting action ensures bone graft viability and consistency while minimizing manipulation time and temperature exposure. Supply and design credit to M3 Design Inc. (Round Rock, TX).
- UroLift System minimally invasive device, manufactured and submitted by Neotract (Pleasanton, CA). The UroLift system is designed to treat lower urinary tract symptoms caused by benign prostatic hyperplasia in men over the age of 50. It opens the urethra directly by retracting the obstructing prostatic lobes.
- Venner A.P. Advance Video Laryngoscope, manufactured by Venner Medical Singapore Pte. Ltd. (Singapore). Entry submitted by Industrial Design Consultancy Ltd. (Datchet, Berkshire, United Kingdom). The Venner A.P. is a hand-held endoscopic instrument used to assist during laryngoscopy and endotracheal intubation. The device is used to obtain a view of the glottis to aid tracheal intubation and facilitate general anaesthesia. Supply and design credit to Industrial Design Consultancy Ltd. (Datchet, Berkshire, United Kingdom).