2008 Winners and their Suppliers
The following 33 products have been named winners in the 2008 Medical Design Excellence Awards competition. Submitting companies were presented with either gold or silver awards at the MDEA ceremony held in June during the Medical Design & Manufacturing East 2008 Conference and Exposition, in New York City. Suppliers honored in connection with these winning products have earned the exclusive right to use the designation "Supplier to a 2008 MDEA Winner."MDEA Past Winning Product Search Tool
Use the "Award Winners" nav links on the left or the search tool below to search for past winners.
Critical-Care and Emergency Medicine Products
- HemCon bandage, manufactured by HemCon Medical Technologies Inc. (Portland, OR). Entry submitted by Capstrat (Raleigh, NC). Developed to address severe arterial bleeding, the HemCon bandage provides an efficacious, lifesaving antibacterial barrier that is also ready-to-use, easy-to-apply, and cost-effective. Supply and design credit to Oregon Medical Laser Center (Portland, OR).
- NetGuard wireless electrocardiograph system, manufactured and submitted by Datascope Corp. (Montvale, NJ). NetGuard continuously monitors the electrical activity of a patientï¿½s heart, using a small wireless electrocardiograph monitor that communicates with a standard PC, and gives an alert and ECG display when a dangerous heart rhythm is detected. Supply and design credit to Corex Design Group Inc. (Glen Rock, NJ), Stratos Product Development LLC (Seattle, WA), Lead-Lok Inc. (Sandpoint, ID), and United Plastics Group Inc. (Sarasota, FL).
Dental Instruments, Equipment, and Supplies
E4D Dentist system, manufactured and submitted by D4D Technologies LLC (Richardson, TX). E4D Dentist is a chairside CAD/CAM system with a 3-D intraoral laser camera. It enables the dentist to capture a digital impression of a prepared tooth and then design and fabricate an inlay, onlay, veneer, or full crown—all in one office visit.
- The Single Tooth Anesthesia (STA) system, manufactured by Milestone Scientific (Livingston, NJ). Entry submitted by Tricor Systems Inc. (Elgin, IL). The Single Tooth Anesthesia (STA) system is a computer-controlled local anesthetic delivery system that employs dynamic pressure sensing technology to provide users with continuous audible and visual pressure feedback throughout a subcutaneous injection. Supply and design credit to Tricor Systems Inc. (Elgin, IL), and Habitech Inc. (Glen Head, NY).
General Hospital Devices and Therapeutic Products
- InTouch critical-care hospital bed, manufactured and submitted by Stryker Medical (Portage, MI). The InTouch critical-care hospital bed combines advanced connectivity technologies, intuitive operation, and BackSmart ergonomics. Caregivers can access patient data and protocol reminders via the bedï¿½s touch screen interface.
Panda iRes and Giraffe infant warmers, manufactured and submitted by GE Healthcare (Laurel, MD). Panda iRes and Giraffe infant warmers are open-bed thermoregulation microenvironments. They are used in both labor and delivery and intensive-care nurseries, providing patients with infrared, radiant heat as well as respiratory support. Supply and design credit to Biomed Devices Inc. (Guilford, CT), and HumanCentric Technologies Inc. (Cary, NC).
- PowrSyringe injector, manufactured by Pinyons Medical Technology Inc. (Park City, UT). Entry submitted by Globe Medical Tech Inc. (Houston, TX). The PowrSyringe is a handheld disposable injector that provides power, control, and tactile feedback while injecting and aspirating fluids faster and easier during clinical procedures such as angiography, angioplasty balloon inflation, and discography. Supply and design credit to Globe Medical Tech Inc. (Houston, TX), Integrated BioSciences Inc. (Lewisberry, PA), and The Tech Group, A West Pharmaceutical Services Co. (Scottsdale, AZ).
- Tono-Pen Avia applanation tonometer, manufactured by Reichert Inc. (Depew, NY). Entry submitted by Metaphase Design Group Inc. (St. Louis, MO). The Tono-Pen Avia applanation tonometer is a handheld instrument for measuring intraocular pressure. It features a lightweight, ergonomic design and advanced electronic measurement technology, enabling operators to take quick and accurate measurements. Supply and design credit to Metaphase Design Group Inc. (St. Louis, MO), and Medtronic XOMED (Jacksonville, FL).
- TotalCare Bariatric Plus therapy system, manufactured and submitted by Hill-Rom (Batesville, IN). The TotalCare Bariatric Plus therapy system is an integrated bed system that addresses microclimate management, pulmonary management, and immobility in medical-surgical and intensive-care unit settings while serving as bed, chair, and transporter.
Implant and Tissue-Replacement Products
- Akreos AO microincision lens, model MI60, manufactured and submitted by Bausch & Lomb (Rochester, NY). The Akreos AO microincision lens, model MI60, is an intraocular lens intended to replace the human crystalline lens during cataract surgery. The model MI60 is designed for insertion using advanced sub-2-mm microincision cataract surgery. Supply and design credit to Contamac (Saffron Walden, Essex, UK), Complices (Toulouse, France), and Medicel (Widnau, Switzerland).
- Peak Fx hip plate, manufactured by DePuy, a Johnson and Johnson Co. (Warsaw, IN). Entry submitted by Primordial Soup LLC (St. Paul, MN). The Peak Fx hip plate represents the next generation of hip-plate devices for the treatment of peritrochanteric hip fractures, combining the benefits of plate and intramedullary nail technologies. Supply and design credit to Alexandria Research Technologies LLC (Plymouth, MN), Omnitool Inc. (Minneapolis, MN), and Kyber Design Inc. (St. Paul, MN).
In Vitro Diagnostic Products and Systems
- Tube Rotator, manufactured by Labnet (Edison, NJ). Entry submitted by Pensa (Brooklyn, NY). The Tube Rotatorï¿½s rotisserie assemblies enable operators to mix test tubes horizontally, vertically, or in any position in between. The mixing angle is changed with a simple turn of the rotisserie plate: no tools are required. Supply and design credit to Pensa (Brooklyn, NY).
Medical Product Packaging, Graphic Instructions, and Labeling Systems
Veramyst and Avamys (Fluticasone Furoate) nasal spray delivery device, manufactured and submitted by GlaxoSmithKline R&D (Ware, Hertfordshire, UK). Veramyst is a nasal spray for the treatment of allergic rhinitis. It is administered by means of a novel, ergonomically designed, side-actuated delivery device, focusing on ease of use and overcoming patient dissatisfaction with traditional nasal sprays.
Over-The-Counter and Self-Care Products
- GeeWhiz male external condom catheter, manufactured and submitted by Leading Edge Innovations Inc. (Camarillo, CA). The GeeWhiz external male condom catheter is designed for males suffering from urinary incontinence. It incorporates a nonirritating silicone seal that does not adhere to hair, an antikink catheter tip design, and a quick-connect/disconnect nozzle.
- Healthy Living ThinLine deluxe flat screen blood pressure monitor, model BSD-3007, manufactured by Health & Life (Chung Ho City, Taipei, Taiwan). Entry submitted by Samsung America Inc. (Ridgefield Park, NJ). The Healthy Living ThinLine deluxe flat screen blood pressure monitor is intended for home monitoring of blood pressure, and functions as a clock when not in use. Users can set the monitor to issue a warning if certain blood pressure levels are exceeded. Supply and design credit to Samsung America Inc. (Ridgefield Park, NJ).
- Natural Nurser baby bottle, manufactured by Adiri Inc. (Palo Alto, CA). Entry submitted by Whipsaw Inc. (San Jose, CA). The Natural Nurser baby bottle improves the feeding experience for both the parent and child. It uses materials and shapes that mimic breast feeding. It is soft, safe, simple, easy to clean, and contains no harmful polycarbonate. Supply and design credit to Whipsaw Inc. (San Jose, CA).
- NovoFine Autocover automatic safety pen needle, manufactured and submitted by Novo Nordisk A/S, Denmark (Hilleroed, Denmark). The NovoFine Autocover is a safety pen needle used for injecting insulin and growth hormone. It features automatic needle-shield locking to reduce the risk of needlestick injuries and cross-contamination of healthcare providers and patients.
Uresta continence care kit, manufactured and submitted by EastMed Inc. (Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada). The Uresta continence care kit is a set of three bladder supports designed to stop stress urinary incontinence in women. Its novel design permits self-fitting and self-management.
Radiological and Electromechanical Devices
- Acuson P10 handheld diagnostic ultrasound unit, manufactured by Siemens Medical Solutions (Mountain View, CA). Entry submitted by Coyne PR (Parsippany, NJ). Weighing only 1.6 lb, the Acuson P10 is a handheld diagnostic ultrasound imaging tool intended initially for use in primary-care settings, acute-care settings, and emergency departments—particularly for cardiology and OB/GYN applications. Supply and design credit to GMT Design Services (Boulder, CO), Acorn Product Development (Fremont, CA), and Elemental8 Inc. (San Jose, CA).
- MicroDose mammography system, manufactured and submitted by Sectra Mamea AB (Solna, Sweden). The MicroDose mammography system is a full-field digital mammography system intended for x-ray examination of breasts. The system improves patient safety by generating a low average glandular dose of x-ray radiation.
- Nuance full-field digital mammography unit, manufactured and submitted by Planmed Oy (Helsinki, Finland). The Nuance full-field digital mammography unit combines high-quality digital imaging technology with good working ergonomics and straightforward work flow, resulting in fast and effortless imaging in high-throughput mammography screening clinics.
- QuickLink loader, manufactured by C. R. Bard, Bard Urological Division (Covington, GA). Entry submitted by Big Bang (Decatur, GA). The QuickLink loader is used to produce 1.25-1.50-in. strands of radioactive seeds and connectors, and to load them into a needle for implantation during brachytherapy treatment for prostate cancer. Supply and design credit to Big Bang (Decatur, GA), and Function Engineering (Decatur, GA).
- xCAT computed tomography scanner, manufactured by Xoran Technologies Inc. (Ann Arbor, MI). Entry submitted by Insight Product Development (Chicago, IL). The xCAT is a compact, portable computed tomography scanner for use by doctors, nurses, and technicians in the operating room environment during ear, nose, and throat surgery. The device is a fraction of the size and weight of a traditional scanner. Supply and design credit to Insight Product Development (Chicago, IL).
- XDS extravasation detector, manufactured by Medrad Inc. (Indianola, PA). Entry submitted by Battelle Medical Device Solutions (Columbus, OH). The XDS extravasation detector is a safety accessory designed to prevent moderate to severe extravasation of contrast agents that may seriously injure patients. This technology integrates with the companyï¿½s Stellant computed tomography injection system. Supply and design credit to Battelle Medical Device Solutions (Columbus, OH), and Cincinnati Technologies (Mason, OH).
Rehabilitation and Assistive-Technology Products
- Fuze T50 Manual Tilt-in-Space wheelchair, manufactured and submitted by PDG Product Design Group (Vancouver, BC, Canada). The Fuze T50 Manual Tilt-in-Space wheelchair features 50° of tilt from a unique pivot point, for zero center-of-gravity shift. It is easily set-up and adjusted, and offers a small overall footprint that makes for easy maneuverability. Supply and design credit to Revolution Design (Burnaby, BC, Canada).
- Genesis DM telehealth device, manufactured and submitted by Honeywell HomMed (Brookfield, WI). The Genesis DM is a telehealth vital signs monitor that measures objective and subjective patient data, creating a complete picture of a chronic patientï¿½s health from the comfort of his or her home.
- Hand Mentor Pro rehabilitation system, manufactured and submitted by Kinetic Muscles Inc. (Tempe, AZ). The Hand Mentor Pro rehabilitation system delivers therapy to promote the restoration of function in the wrist, hand, and fingers of stroke survivors and other neurological injury patients. Supply and design credit to Arizona State University (Chandler, AZ), Donavan Group Inc. (Chandler, AZ), and Florida Custom Mold (Odessa, FL).
- Plie microprocessor-controlled knee, manufactured and submitted by Freedom Innovations (Irvine, CA). The PliÃ© microprocessor-controlled knee is a single-axis prosthetic knee providing swing and stance control. Integrated sensors provide precise control, assuring stability and safety. Software allows adjustment for each userï¿½s style and preference. Supply and design credit to Turner Technology Group (Victorville, CA), and Turbo Jet Products (Rosemead, CA).
- REMstar Auto M Series continuous positive airway pressure system, manufactured by Respironics Inc. (Murrysville, PA). Entry submitted by Continuum (West Newton, MA). The REMstar Auto M Series is a flow-based smart continuous positive airway pressure system for use in the lab or home. Sleek lines and a minimal user interface define it as more of a piece of home electronics than a medical device. Supply and design credit to Continuum (West Newton, MA).
Surgical Equipment, Instruments, and Supplies
- Amaris excimer laser, manufactured and submitted by Schwind eye-tech-solutions GmbH & Co. KG (Kleinostheim, Germany). The Amaris excimer laser is a high-performance medical laser used in corneal refractive surgery for permanent correction of various kinds of ametropias and corneal changes of the human eye. Supply and design credit to SMI (Berlin, Teltow, Germany).
- InteguSeal microbial sealant, manufactured by Kimberly-Clark Health Care (Roswell, GA). Entry submitted by Three Atlanta LLC (Atlanta, GA). InteguSeal is a fast-drying, film-forming cyanoacrylate compound delivered in a single-use applicator. Applied to a surgical site immediately before the surgical incision is made, it immobilizes bacteria to help prevent its migration into the incision. Supply and design credit to Medlogic Global Ltd. (Plymouth, UK).
Patient Registration Mask, manufactured and submitted by Stryker Leibinger GmbH & Co. KG (Freiburg, Germany). The Patient Registration Mask is used for navigated ear, nose, and throat surgeries. It provides a noninvasive means of achieving automated patient registration and tracking during surgery.
- RealHand high-dexterity instruments, manufactured and submitted by Novare Surgical Systems Inc. (Cupertino, CA). RealHand high-dexterity instruments are laparoscopic instruments with jaws that articulate dynamically, enabling surgeons to reach around structures, approach tissue from new directions, and perform laparoscopic surgery in ways never before possible. Supply and design credit to Micro Medical Technologies (Somerset, NJ), Smith Metal Products (Lindstrom, MN), Micro Star Innovations (Largo, FL), Phillips Plastics Corp. (Hudson, WI), Matthew Hern Consulting (Malibu, CA), Hiemstra Product Development LLC (San Francisco, CA), Baird Industries (Hohokus, NJ), and Thermoforming Process Products (North East, MD).