2003 Winners and their Suppliers
The following 23 products were named winners in the 2003 Medical Design Excellence Awards competition. Submitting companies were presented with either gold or silver awards at the MDEA ceremony, which was held in June during the Medical Design & Manufacturing East 2003 Conference and Exposition, in New York City. Suppliers honored in connection with these winning products earn the exclusive right to use the designation “Supplier to a 2003 MDEA Winner.”MDEA Past Winning Product Search Tool
Use the "Award Winners" nav links on the left or the search tool below to search for past winners.
Critical-Care and Emergency Medicine Products
- Angel single-patient-use telemetry system, manufactured and entered by Medical Data Electronics Inc. (Arleta, CA). The Angel telemetry unit is a low-cost, single-patient-use radio transmitter for ambulatory patients. It is designed to provide continuous monitoring of the ECG vital signs of adult and pediatric patients in the hospital environment.
- HeartStart home defibrillator, manufactured and entered by Philips Medical Systems Heartstream (Seattle, WA). The HeartStart home defibrillator is the first of a new generation of defibrillators designed specifically for the home. It features a simplified interface and employs technology that senses operator behavior and adapts voice instructions to user actions.
Rugged Stair-Pro lightweight emergency transportation device, manufactured and entered by Stryker EMS (Kalamazoo, MI). The Stair-Pro is an emergency patient-transport device used to extricate individuals from enclosed or confined locations where a conventional cot would be unable to operate, including stairways. It is designed to cause less strain to users. Supply and design credit to Alexandria Extrusions (Alexandria, MN) and Scori Mold and Engineering Inc. (Centerville, MI).
General Hospital Devices and Therapeutic Products
- Introcan Safety intravenous catheter, manufactured and entered by B. Braun OEM/Industrial Div., B. Braun Medical Inc. (Bethlehem, PA). The Introcan Safety catheter is a passive IV catheter that requires no user activation of the safety mechanism. It requires no change in user technique to activate the safety mechanism, and is designed to make conservative use of materials.
- Joey disposable umbilical cord clamp and cutter, manufactured and entered by Maternus (San Antonio, TX). The Joey clamp and cutter is a single-use obstetric device that simultaneously clamps and cuts the umbilical cord following birth, while shielding users from blood spray. It is optimized for single-handed use, and is color-coded for multiple births. Supply and design credit to Design Edge (Austin, TX) and Trend Technologies LLC (Longmont, CO).
- SmartSite Plus needle-free valve with positive displacement, manufactured and entered by Alaris Medical Systems Inc. (San Diego). The SmartSite Plus needle-free valve with positive displacement is designed to reduce the incidence of clotting in indwelling catheters and enhance the safety of clinicians and patients by providing passive needle-free access to intravenous systems. Supply and design credit to Karl Leinsing (Hampton, NH).
Implant and Tissue-Replacement Products
- Ascension metacarpalphalangeal joint implant, manufactured and entered by Ascension Orthopedics Inc. (Austin, TX). The Ascension MCP is intended as a total replacement for the metacarpalphalangeal joint of the hand. Its design replicates natural structures and reproduces joint kinematics and biomechanics, thereby restoring functions such as pinching and grasping. Supply and design credit to Banister Tool Co. (Austin, TX), Medical Carbon Research Institute (Austin, TX), and Symmetry Medical (Warsaw, IN).
- ContourMed Advantage external breast prosthesis, manufactured and entered by ContourMed Inc. (Little Rock, AR). The ContourMed Advantage is a custom lightweight external breast prosthesis with a magnetic attachment for added wearer confidence. Laser scanning and computer-aided modeling are used to ensure accurate replication and a comfortable fit. Supply and design credit to BJB Enterprises Inc. (Tustin, CA), General Electric Silicones (Atlanta), 3M Medical Specialties (St. Paul, MN), and Webtec Converting LLC (Knoxville, TN).
In Vitro Diagnostic Products and Systems
Accu-Chek Inform blood glucose meter, manufactured by Roche Diagnostics (Indianapolis). Entry submitted by Kinneir Dufort (Bristol, UK). The Accu-Chek Inform is a professional-use blood glucose meter that has been designed for multiple patient testing in hospitals. The device is based on a personal data assistant platform, from which test results can be downloaded. Supply and design credit to Kinneir Dufort.
- OraQuick Rapid HIV-1 antibody test, manufactured and entered by OraSure Technologies Inc. (Bethlehem, PA). The OraQuick Rapid HIV-1 antibody test is a single-use, qualitative immunoassay to detect antibodies to HIV-1 in a fingerstick whole-blood specimen. FDA has granted this test waived status under the Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments of 1988. Supply and design credit to Inland Technologies Inc. (Fontana, CA), Innovations (Oakdale, CA), and Millipore (Bedford, MA).
Medical Product Packaging, Graphic Instructions, and Labeling Systems
Easytab hearing aid battery delivery system, manufactured by Duracell (Bethel, CT). Entry submitted by Product Ventures Ltd. (Fairfield, CT). The Easytab is a hearing aid battery featuring a long custom-shaped tab that enables consumers, including those with diminished dexterity, to easily remove the battery from its packaging and insert it into even the smallest hearing aid. Supply and design credit to Product Ventures Ltd.
Over-The-Counter and Self-Care Products
PiKo-1 handheld lung-function monitor, manufactured and entered by Pulmonary Data Services Inc. (Louisville, CO). The PiKo-1 is a small handheld device for home monitoring of lung-function parameters, including forced expiratory volume, and is designed to predict an oncoming asthma attack before it becomes symptomatic.
Symphony breast pump, manufactured and entered by Medela Inc. (McHenry, IL). The Symphony breast pump combines the results of the latest human lactation research with microprocessor technology. It features a two-phase pumping program with stimulation and expression cycles to promote the milk-ejection reflex and maximize milk flow. Supply and design credit to Milani Design & Consulting SA (Erlenbach, Switzerland).
Radiological and Electromechanical Devices
- iLook personal imaging tool, manufactured and entered by SonoSite Inc. (Bothell, WA). The iLook is an all-digital ultrasound imaging tool that weighs only 3 lbs. Its light weight and small size enable physicians and technicians to easily carry ultrasound capabilities into a variety of clinical settings.
- MammoSite radiation therapy system, manufactured and entered by Proxima Therapeutics Inc. (Alpharetta, GA). The MammoSite is a single-use catheter and balloon assembly that delivers radiation from within the tumor-resected cavity after breast conservation therapy. It is designed to shorten total treatment time by up to 85%. Supply and design credit to ETI Inc. (Largo, FL), Medron (Salt Lake City), and Proximal Inc. (Largo, FL).
Sonos 7500 Live 3-D ultrasound system, manufactured and entered by Philips Medical Systems (Andover, MA) The Sonos 7500 is a fully functional premium ultrasound system that provides real-time 3-D cardiac imaging.
Rehabilitation and Assistive-Technology Products
- Cozmo insulin pump and My Treatment Assistant PC communications, manufactured and entered by Deltec Inc. (St. Paul, MN). The Cozmo insulin pump is a full-featured, flexible, and easy-to-use device for administering insulin to individuals with diabetes. It features a user-friendly interface and consumer-product design, making it less intimidating for users. Supply and design credit to Advanced Molding Technologies (St. Paul, MN), and Bridge Design (San Francisco).
- Taylor Spatial Frame and spatialframe.com orthopedic fixator system, manufactured and entered by Smith & Nephew Inc., Orthopaedic Div. (Memphis, TN). The Taylor Spatial Frame system is an orthopedic device that encompasses an external fixator frame for aligning bone fragments, and Web-based software for developing a patientís corrective plan and directing daily adjustments to the frame. Supply and design credit to NetIDEAS Inc. (Mt. Laurel, NJ).
- UroCycler bladder management system, manufactured and entered by UroSolutions Inc. (Orlando, FL). The key component of a unique bladder-management system, the UroCycler is a passive, low-pressure magnetic valve that enables the bladder to fill and void in a physiologically consistent manner, preventing backflow and reducing potential for infection. Supply and design credit to Bradshaw Manufacturing Services Inc. (Palm Bay, FL) and International Sterilization Laboratory Inc. (Groveland, FL).
Surgical Equipment, Instruments, and Supplies
- A-2000 bispectral index (BIS) consciousness monitor, manufactured by Aspect Medical Systems (Newton, MA). Entry submitted by Design Continuum (West Newton, MA). The A-2000 BIS monitor is a compact, portable unit that translates information from an electroencephalogram to measure a patientís depth of consciousness, thereby reducing overmedication and related side effects. Supply and design credit to Design Continuum, Tech Design (Merrimack, NH), and William J. Wohltmann (San Jose).
- CORx integrated oxygenation system, manufactured and entered by CardioVention (Santa Clara, CA). The CORx system is a compact disposable driven by a unique hardware platform that integrates automated air removal, blood pumping, and oxygenation functions of the heart and lungs, enabling less-invasive and minimal-hemodilution cardiac surgery. Supply and design credit to damgudesign (Los Angeles), Data Spectrum (Redondo Beach, CA), Delta Pacific (Santa Clara, CA), Emoteq (Tulsa, OK), Lunar Design (Palo Alto, CA), Membrana GmbH (Wuppertal, Germany), Pacific Plastics & Engineering (Soquel, CA), Plastics Engineering & Development Inc. (Carlsbad, CA), Polymer Technology Corp. (Menomonie, WI), Solid Concepts (Valencia, CA), and Volker Precision Products (Sunnyvale, CA).
- Intralase FS ophthalmological laser, manufactured by Intralase (Irvine, CA). Entry submitted by Patton Design (Irvine, CA). The Intralase FS system is an ergonomically designed femtosecond ophthalmological laser for making the corneal flap required in refractive keratotomy procedures, providing surgeons a safe and precise all-laser alternative to mechanical microkeratomes. Supply and design credit to Patton Design.
- Zeus robotic endoscopic surgical workstation, manufactured by Computer Motion (Goleta, CA). Entry submitted by Patton Design (Irvine, CA). The Zeus system is a robotic computer-enhanced endoscopic surgical workstation for minimally invasive microsurgery procedures, such as endoscopic coronary artery bypass. It enhances surgical precision and is suitable for telesurgery procedures. Supply and design credit to Patton Design.